Sunday, January 18, 2015

Paleo Marshmallows



I am starting a Paleo-friendly snack company and I think I know what ingredients are healthy and important to consumers like you  -- BUT I need YOUR feedback to be sure I'm headed in the right direction!! Please take my survey to support a Paleo entrepreneur trying to make it easier to buy truly nutritious and delicious products.

PLEASE TAKE MY SURVEY


I really appreciate any support. Thank you.

I always assumed that marshmallows must be unhealthy because they seemed so unnatural. I'm not 100% positive about the nutrition value of gelatin, an ingredient in marshmallows, but it should be Paleo given it is made from animal skin/ bones. See the following link, which I thought was a good summary of potential nutritional benefits of gelatin.


My main hesitation to switching my prior assumptions completely despite the arguments above is the final product bought in stores seems a bit processed. See the process for creating gelatin below.


However, marshmallows are a light, airy treat that are easy to make and gelatin doesn't sound nearly as bad as I had previously assumed.  See recipe below.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 C (240 g) filtered water
  2. 2 TBSP (20 g) powdered gelatin, 225 bloom strength, same as Knox gelatin
  3. 1/2 C (100g) Manuka honey
  4. 1/2 C (100g) maple syrup
  5. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  6. 1/2 tsp salt
  7. Arrowroot starch
Directions:
  1. Mix the ½ C water and gelatin in a stand mixer.
  2. Allow to bloom (gelatin soaking up water).
  3. Add the ½ C water plus honey and syrup in a pot on stove top.
  4. Heat to 245 Deg F.
  5. Mix heated honey, syrup, nectar / water with the gelatin in the stand mixer.
  6. Beat for 7 minutes high speed with whisk attachment.
  7. Add Vanilla
  8. Transfer to arrowroot dusted parchment


Within 1hr, marshmallow should be set and easy to manipulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment