I am starting a Paleo-friendly snack company and I think I know what ingredients are healthy and important to consumers like you -- BUT I need YOUR feedback to be sure I'm headed in the right direction!! Please take my survey to support a Paleo entrepreneur trying to make it easier to buy truly nutritious and delicious products.
PLEASE TAKE MY SURVEY
I really appreciate any support. Thank you.
· 3-4 lb whole chicken
· 4 medium carrots – cut into inch sticks
· 3 leeks, stems and leafy green section removed, thoroughly washed – split down middle, but leave stem intact (about ¾ inch from end). Trim root hairs.
· 2 small Spanish onions, peeled with roots trimmed – quartered leaving root end with each quarter.
· 6-8 small (golf-ball sized or smaller) red skinned or butterball potatoes) – washed but leave skin
· 4 Tbsp butter
· 6 garlic cloves – 3 crushed with skin on for stuffing. 3 skinned loosely diced
· ¼ cup olive oil
· Tsp fresh thyme diced, plus 3-4 extra sprigs for dicing
· Tsp rosemary diced
· 1 Lemon cut into 6-8 wedges
Preheat oven to 475oF.
- Ensure chicken is at room temperature, washed and patted thoroughly dry. Remove chicken wishbone.
- Rub inside of chicken with 2 Tbsp butter and 1-2 Tsp of salt. Add lemon wedges, crushed garlic, and sprigs of thyme to the cavity.
- Truss the chicken with string, ensuring wings are pulled back and legs are crossed. Tuck a few more sprigs of thyme under the wings, add a lemon wedge in the nook of each wing.
- Generously salt outside of chicken and rub with remaining butter. Set aside.
*For crispier skin, purchase chicken one day ahead and refrigerate uncovered overnight. This allows the skin to dry out.
- In a mixing bowl, add all vegetables, potatoes, and diced garlic, thyme, rosemary.
- Add olive oil and toss well.
- Transfer to a large dutch oven, pot, or skillet - ideally cast iron. Form a bed with a slight depression in the center.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables and set in the oven.
- After 25 minutes reduce oven temperature to 400oF.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reaches 160oF, about 50 minutes.
- Remove chicken and let rest on carving board for 10 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise to reach the magic 165oF.
- Continue roasting the vegetables in the pot/skillet/dutch oven in the juices generated from the chicken until ready to serve the chicken.