1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 stalks celery, diced
2 small carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, but keep the juices. Spread the tomatoes onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
3. Cook for about 15 minutes. Be careful to check frequently so they don't burn.
4. At the same time, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the roasted tomatoes, sautéed vegetables, saved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter to a large pot. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add the basil and puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth. Check for carrots and celery that might not have been pureed.