3 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
1 1/2 pounds carrots (6-7 large carrots), sliced
2 cups chopped white or yellow onion
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
3 large strips of zest from an orange
1. Heat up the butter or coconut oil in a large soup pot.
2. Add the chopped carrots and onion to the pot and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Don't allow the carrots or onion to brown.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients (ginger, orange zest, water, and stock). The orange zest will be pulled out prior to puréeing so make sure they are in large, easy to identify strips rather than small pieces.
4. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove orange zest strips.
6. Purée the mixture with an immersion blender. Or divide into 3-4 batches and blend in a regular blender.
7. I garnished my soup with a touch of olive oil and some freshly ground salt and pepper.